5.24.2008

Appearance

I'd like to give some tips for my fellow photographers or anyone interested in making a good impression. I'll starty by telling a story. I was at my parents' getting ready to photograph a wedding and was painting my nails. My dad laughed at me and said "why are YOU painting your nails, you're just the photographer".
That comment, along with all the stories of completely creepy photographers with blue jeans and long greasy hair inspired this blog entry.
As a photographer, you are a walking advertisment for yourself. Most of my bookings are by word of mouth, so you want to make sure that "word" is good.

Tips:
Shower the day of your shoot, yesterday is not good enough.
I don't care how casual the attire is for the affair- NO JEANS.
Don't put on your outfit to do messy things before leaving.
Wear comfortable, dressy shoes- no sneakers- I did 2 weddings in 1 day while 8 months pregnant and I didn't need sneakers- tough it out.
Ladies- you can wear make-up, just don't over-do. All eyes should be on the bride.
Same goes with clothes- wear something practical- no short skirts.
Most importantly, don't forget to wear your smile :)
... and Do NOT act CREEPY!

You don't need to paint your nails, but you do need to make a good impression. Remember this also when you're out in public- you never know when you'll run into a current or future client.
This is a photo taken of me just before I left to photograph a wedding today. Good, I meet all of my requirements- and yes, my nails are painted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg-
I couldn't agree with you more. There is absoultly nothing worse then a going to a wedding where the photographer looks like they should be living in the card board box down the street from my house. It drives me crazy when people hire these fools that don't have the common sense to look presentable. Good Entry!
--m