1.28.2009

A Painful Process

Contrary to popular belief (and I'm not quite sure what the popular beliefs on backdrop stenciling are these days anyway) it is NOT easy to STENCIL a backdrop canvas. My friend/co-worker Charity and I just spent about 3.5 hours to get a 3x4 foot section of the backdrop finished. Not to mention the fact that for a few hours last night I rolled on white paint with a mini roller because that's all I had. The canvas stretches and moves which is not good when stencilling. And it's downright painful to squat in strange positions for long periods of time. I like tedious work, but I think I've found a line, and now I've crossed it. I was considering selling these backdrops to photographer friends, now I'm not so sure.
We thought that having a stencil made of a baroque design, then hand stenciling a canvas, would save a ton of money and save time- the backgrounds online take about 4-6 weeks to arrive and cost upwards of $400 and more depending on size.
The stencil was about $80 from Stencils Online.
We totally are rocking this stencil though! It's just a little daunting after seeing the challenge that lay before us.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Umm... it's so pretty. :) I love it. I don't love how my arms fell but I love the back drop.

-m